At the beginning of the 20th century, there was no Lutheran church in Lindstrom. The Swedish pioneers traveled by horseback, buggy or sleigh to Chisago Lake Lutheran Church in Center City to worship and hear God's word preached in their native tongue. Their children learned the Swedish Catechism.
Some Lutherans were concerned that young people were leaving the church for English-speaking congregations. On "Trinity Sunday," June 2, 1901, a group of Lindstrom residents gathered in the Opera Hall (located on the present site of the Chisago County Press) to hear the Rev. S.W. Kuhns preach in English. Five weeks later on July 11, 1901, Trinity Lutheran Church of Lindstrom was incorporated as part of the English Synod of the Northwest. It became the area's first English-speaking Lutheran congregation, comprised of "fifteen grown persons and eleven families."
One year later, in August 1902, Trinity's cornerstone was laid under the guidance of the first full pastor, Rev. Frank E. Jensen. The new church, built without a basement, cost $10,000 and was paid for in seven years. The basement was dug and an eight-room parsonage purchased seventeen years later.
Ten pastors served Trinity in its first 65 years. A new parsonage was built in 1955, and a parish education wing was added in 1958. Trinity, Zion, and Chisago Lake Lutheran churches shared their first youth director in 1974.
By 1976, with Rev. George Cruys as its 11th pastor, Trinity had grown to 756 active members. To deal with the overcrowding, Trinity considered several options, including building a new church on the edge of town. The congregation voted to stay in the heart of Lindstrom, and on November 2, 1978, Trinity broke ground for a fellowship hall addition and doubled the church's size.
On October 14, 1990, the congregation approved a renovation plan to expand the sanctuary, adding 3,000 square feet and 170 seats the worship area, including organ renovation. The remodeled and expanded church was dedicated in 1993.
The Kirvida Memorial Lounge was donated by Jean Kirvida and family in memory of Mitchell Kirvida in 1992.
In 2002, lightning struck Trinity's steeple. Luckily, the fire didn't damage the stained glass, the seven styles of original tin wall-sheeting, and the sanctuary. In planning to rebuild the fire-damaged narthex, it was determined that the area should be expanded for greater ease of worshipers on Sunday mornings and special events. At the same time, a restoration of the Newell Avenue entrance was created to resemble the original facade of the 1902 church. An elevator was added at that time.
Trinity is especially proud of its friendly and enthusiastic parishioners. Its carillon, pipe organ and trumpets, and wonderful music program add to the inspirational worship services. Join us for worship on Sunday mornings at 9:00 (traditional) or 10:30 (contemporary). We also offer Wednesday evening services at 6:30 with supper and fellowship at 5:45 (September - May).